Ursula Hayward 1907 - 1970
Ursula Barr Smith married Edward Hayward in 1935. On their honeymoon trip to England, they purchased many of the oak doors, architraves, windows, staircases, fireplaces and panelling at the demolition sale of the Marquis of Anglesey's large Tudor house, Beaudesert, in Staffordshire.
The material was shipped back to Adelaide and incorporated in the 1939 building of their home, Carrick Hill, which they eventually bequeathed to the State of South Australia in 1983. Not only were the Haywards great collectors of art and antiques, but in 1953 Ursula Hayward was also the first woman appointed to the Board of the Art Gallery of South Australia.
A student of noted South Australian artist Ivor Hele, (q.v.), Ursula Hayward shows in these paintings her predilection for floral themes in strong, deep, tones reminiscent of the colours used by Gauguin. With her deep love of flowers, she often used blooms from the grounds of Carrick Hill as the subjects of her paintings, creating indoors some of the treasures from the garden. She was not merely a "garden architect" but a devoted gardener.
The artist also received private tuition from Margarita Stipnieks (q.v.), whose influence is shown in the bright, joyous colours and heavy brushwork of these appealing compositions.
undated, oil on canvas, 81.3cm X 61cm
|Orchids in a tub
undated, oil on canvas, 63.2cm X 57.9cm